Below you will find general information on health and safety at work. This information is based on, among other things, information collected from the website of La Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST).

Please note that some links found below are only in French.

The CNESST is the organization to which the Government of Quebec has entrusted the promotion of labor rights and obligations. It ensures that it is respected by Quebec workers and employers.

Work accident

When a worker is the victim of an accident at work, it is important that he completes an accident report, depending on his physical or mental capacities following the accident. This report is provided by the employer. In case of serious injuries, any report can be completed later.

The worker should always consult a doctor and obtain a medical certificate following a work accident. This must be sent to CNESST when the file is opened with them.

To open a file with the CNESST, the worker must complete the Worker’s Claim form as soon as possible. This form can be completed online (see link below).

A copy of any document related to the work accident must be sent to the worker, the employer and the CNESST. In addition, it is recommended that you send us a copy of the documents to ( & in case the worker needs to request the help of the union to settle disputes.

The union office ( / 514-844-7233), as well as the health and safety committee of I.A.T.S.E. local 56 (, can assist the worker with any questions or with the process of opening a file with the CNESST.

Clarification on work accident files

I.A.T.S.E. is never the employer when reporting to the CNESST. If the worker does not know the name of the employer, the union steward or the union can inform him. This is also mentionned on the Crew Call files.

Accidents that occur during a contract with the Regroupement des Techniciens de la Scène du Québec (RTSQ) must be declared to our office and all documents must be sent in ( The name of the employer is Le Regroupement des Techniciens de la Scène du Québec (RTSQ). A link to a downloadable Accident Report can be found below.

On the day of the accident, the worker must be paid for all the hours he would have worked.

The employer must complete the CNESST form Notice from the Employer and Request for Reimbursement (Avis de l’Employeur et Demande de Remboursement) . A copy must be sent to the worker.

The employer pays the worker 90% of the salary he would have worked during the 14 days following the date of the accident. The details of this salary can be found on the Employer’s Notice and Claim for Reimbursement (Avis de l’Employeur et Demande de Remboursement) . Only the hours worked for this employer are counted.

The worker can ask the CNESST for reimbursement of wages lost during the 14 days following the date of the accident for any other employer for whom he would have worked. The CNESST pays 90% of these salaries.

The CNESST may request additional information from all of the worker’s employers to process a file. In these cases, the union office can help you obtain this information. Simply make the request by email (, including the information requested and the names of the employers to whom to make the request to.

The CNESST reimburses 90% of your annual salary (all employers combined), up to a maximum specified by the Maximum Annual Insurable Salary table (Salaire Maximum Annuel Assurable) . (see link below)

Preventive withdrawal for pregnant or breastfeeding workers

When the worker considers that her work presents dangers for her or her child, she should consult her doctor after having informed herself of the steps indicated by the CNESST. (see link below)

Leave of work for members of I.A.T.S.E. local 56

If a member obtains a leave of work from his doctor for illness, injury or parental leave, he must inform the union and submit his medical documents ( The union will be able to credit him with a portion of his union dues billed quarterly. However, the member must be off work for more than 28 days. Note that there is no credit in connection with a leave of work for any other amount invoiced. This practice does not apply to permit workers.

Psychological or sexual harassment at work

As written on the CNESST information page, psychological or sexual harrassment is a vexatious (abusive, humiliating, hurtful) conduct in the form of comments, gestures or behaviour that: 

  • are repeated 
  • are hostile (aggressive, threatening) or unwelcome 
  • adversely affect the person’s dignity (that is, self-respect, self-esteem) or integrity (physical, psychological or emotional balance) 
  • make the workplace harmful for the person.

A single serious incident of such behaviour could also be considered harassment if it has a lasting negative impact on the person.

Also, discriminatory harassment is also considered psychological or sexual harassment if it is based on any of the grounds set out in the Charter of human rights and freedoms (s. 10)

  • race, colour, ethnic or national origin  
  • age, language, sex, pregnancy, civil status  
  • gender identity or expression, sexual orientation 
  • religion, social condition, political convictions 
  • a handicap or the use of any means to palliate a handicap 


Contact the harassment prevention committee (, one of our social delegates (, or union steward. They will guide you and help you with the process.

If you witness harassment, you can also talk about it to the harassment prevention committee , social delegates or union steward. Witnesses play an important role in helping to put an end to situations of harassment.

You may file a complaint with the CNESST at any time. The complaint must be filed within 2 years of the last incident of harassment.