It is possible to register with IATSE Local 56 as a permit worker. You will need to come to our office at 1 de Castelnau Est, Bureau 104 and fill a form. Please bring a void check for direct deposit in case you are called in for work. Administration fees of 10$ cash must be paid annually (Interac e-Transfers are also accepted). The amount paid per year may change without notice. Even once you are registered, you may not receive calls. It all depends on the events covered and the labour requested from our employers. There is absolutely no seniority, nor priorities for permit workers.
Information for subscribed permit workers
Your 10$ is to be paid annually on the 1st of January. This places your name on the Call Steward’s call list. There is absolutely no seniority, nor priorities for permit workers. You will simply be called according to the needs of the local. The amount paid per year may change without notice.
Even once you are registered, you may not receive calls. It all depends on the events covered and the labour requested from our employers.
Since there are a lot of employers, here are a few important points to remember if you are called in for work:
- Do not forget to bring your work tools (steel-toed boots, helmet, multi-tool, knife, hammer, wrench, etc.).
- Make sure that the employer has your contact information, social insurance number and date of birth so that they can issue your pay.
- In case of need, please write down the days and hours that you worked, the event and the name of the employer. This will also help you determine when your pay will be ready.
- The employers all have different pay periods (weekly, every 2 weeks, payable the next week, payable in 2 weeks, etc.).
- Most of the employers send checks and pay stubs to our local’s office. You need to come and pick them up, or designate someone to do so. No mailing will be made. Some of the employers (Place des Arts, l’Opéra Entrepôt, etc.) will mail you your documents directly to your home address. To know if your checks have been received by the local you verify in Information » Received Checks.
- If you have any questions about the way your hours are calculated (regular time, time and a half, overtime, etc.), you may ask the Head Carpenter or the employer, while on the job site.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.